About us > Origin of the Institute

The Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Sts.Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa(SCCG) also known as the Sisters of Maria Bambina had its origin in Lovere, Italy. It was founded by a young girl of 25 named Bartolomea Capitanio in 1832. Bartolomea’s inspiration to found an Institute took shape because of her deep love for God and through her involvement in the actual situation of the people of Lovere – her native town.

Having studied in the boarding school of the Poor Clares, she acquired a deep piety under the ever vigilant Mother Francesca Parpani. “I want to be a Saint, a great saint and a saint soon” were the words she uttered at the age of 7 at the ‘Game of Straws’. Her spiritual Director Don Angelo Bosio sensed the working of the Spirit in her and guided her in her spiritual Journey. He urged her to note down all the inspirations she received. This resulted in the inspired document we now call ‘the Foundation Document” which forms the basis of our present Rule of Life. She wrote: “The Institute which will be founded in Lovere is be totally founded on charity and this must be its principle aim…should have as its aim the education of poor young girls…devote itself to the relief of the sick..” In this way she outlined a MISSION which, though starting as a personal response to the needs of her environment was deeply rooted in charity and as such destined to be kept up and to spread beyond the bounds of Lovere.

Bartolomea was helped in her project by Catherine Gerosa, a simple, rich, charitable lady of Lovere. Together they consecrated themselves to God in a simple ceremony on 21 November 1832 at Casa Gaia. Thus began the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity. Bartolomea was called to her eternal reward on 26 July 1833 eight months after founding the Congregation. It was left to Catherine Gerosa, under the able guidance of Don Angelo Bosio to carry on the work begun.

The Institute spread rapidly in many Provinces of Italy. In 1860, Mother Theresa Bosio the first Superior General answered the call of the missions of India and sent four sisters to work in Bengal -India. Thus began the mission of the sisters in India.

About us > History of Dharwad Province

In the year 1998, on the 6th of August, the Province of Dharwad was born. This separation of the Province was conceived in the minds of the Superiors some years before that, and through much discernment, prayers, discussions, and debates/dialogues finally realized it.

The then Superior General Mother Costantina Kersbamer along with Sr. Esther Joseph the Provincial Superior of Secunderabad Province, and Sr. Apoline Monis of Mangalore Province identified the communities located in North Karnataka and formed this new Province of Dharwad. They then handed over the mandate of the governance of the new born Province of Dharwad to the newly elected Provincial Superior, Sr. Mary Anne Theodore.

It was a moving ceremony to see the birth of this new province. The province of Secunderabad gave 15 communities and the Province of Mangalore lent 5 communities. Together there were 20 communities with 150 sisters. This was done for better governance as it was difficult for the provincial superiors to reach out to these distant communities.

The Province of Dharwad had its Provincial house in Shanti Sadan Dharwad formally the novitiate of Secunderabad province. The new Province initially had no novitiate of its own. There were schools hospitals, boarding houses, and an infirmary for the senior sisters, socio-pastoral activities spread in the states of Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra.

As every beginning has its own teething problems, so also the Benjamin Province of Dharwad but this problem was soon well managed by the efficient, gentle and prudent governance of Sr. Mary Anne Theodore.

Sr. Mary Anne was struck by the rare disease S. L. E. and she expired in 2002. She was replaced by Sr. Irene Fernandes who governed the Province from 2002 – 2010

At present there are 21 communities and 131 Sisters belonging to Dharwad Province. These communities are mainly located in the rural areas of Karnataka and Goa, except 2 in Mumbai city. Our present Provincial is Sr. Thresia P. Poulose.